Monday, November 30, 2015

December Pie

Last day of November. I'm tempted to take a month off and not write a smidge. No one is more surprised that I posted Every. Single. Day this month than me. I am a bit pleased that I kept to my self imposed 'write everyday' plan. But I am tired of coming up with things to write/ finding the words to write those things/ not missing a day - but pleased tired, if that makes sense.

Last year Kid saw an 'Elf on the Shelf' at his friends house and ever since been talking about us getting one. I frankly am not for it - can't imagine I would feel enthusiastic enough to move it every night and really do not understand the point of it. 

Also last year, he was sent an advent calendar by a friend in London. He opened all the doors in one sitting (5 minutes while I was heating dinner up) and proceeded to give all the chocolates behind the doors to our lovely (and sweet toothed) helper. 

This November kids in his class have been talking about Christmas celebrations and many of them have advent calendars and Elves for their shelves. So the hints and conversation have popped up a few times this month. And that got me thinking. 

For a kid that doesn't eat chocolate and a family that does not own an elf I decided to come up with an enticing alternative. And here it is:

It's our kindness-calendar meets book-on-a-shelf (meets clean-this-house):


And a bit like pie, here are the Ingredients: 
- 25 books all individually wrapped and waiting
- a basket and a little calendar 
- many shelves and cupboards to provide hiding places
- loads of books/ toys/ clothes that have been outgrown - and many that haven't 
- Small excited child

Method:
- Starting tomorrow, every morning before school he crosses off the date on the mini calendar, and picks a wrapped package. 
- While he is at school I have to hide the package. And set up two clues on bits of paper and leave them with his post school snack.
- When he gets home he uses the clues to find the package and unwraps a brand new book.
- We save the book to read before bedtime. And then we hunt for a toy or book he has outgrown and willing to part with. This is harder than it sounds. We have purged a lot of stuff this year as part of the move. He still has a few books and toys he has outgrown but loves. I also want him to give away a few things that he still uses/ loves. I think he is ready for this lesson of giving/ sharing/ parting with things/ seeing the joy of another child.
- Said toy or book goes in a box for us to carry to India and give someone we know who can use it.

It's December tomorrow - books and life lessons for the Kid; free pass from writing for me. Wish us luck.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:56 PM

    what a cool stand in for the advent thingie and the elf thingie both of which frankly I'd never heard of. Glad to be enlightened of same here. Praise the good lord, brat V here has never heard of them.

    I'll be eagerly reading to see how your brat received and excited this plan. And a very advanced but merry, merry x'ams to you all in your new home and city.

    Deepa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, followed a comment you had made on the Blue Bride's blog and landed here. This is quite inspiring - my son is 16 months old, and I have not figured out how to engage him, yet. I am going to thumb through your archives and scan at your other experiences!

    Thank you for writing this.

    ReplyDelete